Sunday, October 6, 2013

Our Menu for the Week

I think I have metioned before that I am not the best cook. By that, I mean I can not just come up with a food idea and go with it. I need a recipe to follow and preferbly a picture to go along with it! I try and cook for my family almost every night. There are those nights where we have something going on and just grab a bite out, but mostly we eat at home. Weekends are the exception. :) I though it would be fun to start an on-going Sunday post of my upcoming menu for the week. I will also include the recipes. I hope this helps with some meal ideas!! :)

Monday - Nachos
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 packet of taco seasoning
1-16 oz block of velveeta cheese
1 can rotel
1 can black beans
1 can chopped black olives
sour cream
salsa
bag of tortilla chips (We use Mission tortilla rounds)

*First I start my rotel & velveeta in my mini crock pot; next I brown my ground beef and add the taco seasoning. I usually heat my beans up in the microwave and then when everything is ready, we just do an assembly line to prepare our plates. Our order goes: chips, taco meat, black beans, rotel cheese, sour cream, salsa, and then the olives.


Tuesday - We have McTeacher's Night at McDonalds this night, so no cooking for me. :)


Wednesday - "Buttered Noodles"
I got this recipe out of my Deceptively Delicious cookbook. The thing to remember about this recipe is you need to have your puree already made or plan on adding about 45 min to prep time.

Ingredients:
8 ounces of whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup butternut squash puree
1/4 cup non-fat milk
2 TBSP margarine spread
2 TBSP grated parmesan
1/4 tsp salt

1. bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. add the pasta & cook according to the package directions until al dente.
2. drain, return pasta to warm pot, and stir in the squash puree (make sure puree is very creamy), milk, margarine, grated parmesan and salt.
Tip: to save time, while the pasta cooks, you can boil vegetables you may want to serve as a side dish, such as carrots or broccoli or string beans, in the pasta water.

Here's how to puree your buttenut squash: Prep - cut off the stem, cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds.
Cook - roast the halves on a cookie sheet, flesh side down, @ 400 degrees F for 45-50 minutes.
Puree - scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor or blender for about 2 min. add water as needed. (Use what you need and then freeze the rest for later.)



Thursday - Grilled Steak
Ingredients:
Steak - as many as your family will eat
1-2 bundles of asparagus
red potatoes

For this meal we grill our steaks outside; I wash and cut the asparagus, put it in a saute pan with a little water, then add butter and garlic. cook until tender. I cut the potatoes into fourths and put them in a baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then roast at 425 degrees for about 30-45 min. depending on your oven. I stir them around about halfway thru.


Friday - Grilled Cheese and tomato soup (chicken noodle for my kiddo)
Ingredients:
bread
sliced cheese (we like cheddar and pepper jack)
butter
tomato soup
chicken noodle soup

This is super easy! I butter both slices of my bread, stick some cheese on, and throw it in the pan. :)


Saturday - Easy Texas Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1-16 oz can chili hot beans, undrained
1-6 oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 cup water
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp salt

*Combine first 3 ingredients in a dutch oven or skillet; cook until meat is browned. Drain and put in a soup pot...Add beans and remaining ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer at least 15 minutes. I like to let it cook longer so the flavor cooks in. Serve with shredded cheddar, crackers and/or corn bread.



Sunday - Leftovers!!


I hope that you've enjoyed this post. I would love any feedback on recipe ideas or just to know what you thought of any of my recipes. Have a wonderful week friends!! Lots of Love!!! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment